Need a perfect Easter or spring cake recipe? Orange Coconut Cake is perfect for warmer weather entertaining.
1 (15.25 oz) yellow cake mix
1 cup orange juice
½ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 (15 oz.) can mandarin oranges, divided
1 (5 oz.) large instant vanilla pudding mix (not prepared)
2 cup flaked, sweetened coconut, divided
1 (8 oz.) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray two 9 inch cake pans with nonstick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, the orange juice, vegetable oil, eggs, and orange zest.
- Beat on low speed until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake cakes according to times on package directions. After cooked through, remove from oven and let cool.
- In a mixing bowl, crush the mandarin oranges with their juices.
- Stir in the instant pudding mix and 1 cup of coconut flakes. Fold in the whipped topping. Mix well.
- Take one of the cakes and place on the cake plate. Add a layer of frosting, and place the remaining cake on top. Frost the top and sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle with remaining coconut flakes and garnish with 5-6 of the mandarin orange slices.
- Refrigerate for at least a couple of hours, or overnight.