6 bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise and seeds removed
3 tablespoon olive oil (separated)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, diced
1 pound ground beef
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes (I love fire roasted tomatoes), drained
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese
chopped parsley, for garnishing
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds and membrane. Drizzle with a little olive oil and rub both the inside and outside to coat them. Arrange them upside down in two baking pans or one half sheet pan and pre-bake for about 15 minutes, while you’re making the stuffing.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, drizzle two tablespoons of olive oil and saute the garlic and onions for one minute.
- Add the ground beef and cook until the beef is browned, breaking it up with a spatula as needed.
- Drain off any excess liquid from the beef and stir in the diced tomatoes, rice, spinach, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir for a minute or two, or until the spinach is wilted.
- Remove the bell peppers from the oven and use tongs to flip them over.
- Fill the peppers with the beef mixture and top with a sprinkle of cheese. Place them back in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the peppers are soft.
- Top with fresh parsley and serve.