- 1¼ cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened Hershey’s Cocoa powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1¼ cups hot water
- Vanilla ice cream, if desired for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat a pot of water on the stove to very hot (just under a simmer).
2) In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine ¾ cup of the granulated sugar, flour, ¼ cup of the cocoa, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk, melted butter and vanilla and mix until smooth.
3) Pour the batter into an lightly greased 2-quart ceramic dish (as shown in our photos) or a 9-inch square baking pan (if it’s a non-stick pan, you don’t have to grease it) and spread evenly.
4) In a small bowl, stir together the remaining ½ cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, remaining ¼ cup cocoa and mix well. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the batter in your dish or pan. Pour the hot water over the top – but do not stir!
5) Bake 35-40 minutes if using a glass dish (or 30-35 minutes if using a metal pan) – or until the center is almost set. Remove your dish from the oven and allow it to stand for 15 minutes.
6) After 15 minutes, spoon the cake into individual serving bowls – making sure to spoon the fudgy sauce from the bottom of the pan over the top of the cake. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream if desired and serve immediately.
You Might Also LOVE:
PHILLY CHEESE STEAK CHEESY BREAD
Leave a Comment