This carrot cake roll with cream cheese filling is perfect for Spring and Easter. A great way to make plain old carrot cake more fun! The cream cheese frosting is velvety smooth and delicious!
For The Carrot Cake:
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg — (optional)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 2 cups shredded carrots — (drained if they are too wet)
- powdered sugar for rolling
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
- 6 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extrac
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Generously spray a 10×15 in jelly roll pan with cooking spray, line with parchment paper. Spray paper with cooking spray and lightly flour it. Set a side.
- Beat eggs on high for 3 minutes. Add sugar and beat for 3-4 minutes, on high until pale and frothy. Add vanilla extract and oil, mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients, until just combined, Do not over mix. Stir in carrots.
- Transfer mixture into prepared pan, spread it using a spatula. Bake for 15-16 minutes until done, but still soft.
- While carrot cake is baking, line a clean kitchen towel and sprinkle a generous amount of powdered sugar over it.
- When cake is finished baking, take it out of the oven and quickly turn it over the kitchen towel, sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Starting at the short end, roll the cake with the towel. Let it cool completely for a few hours.
- While cake is cooling, make the frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat butter and cheese until smooth. Add vanilla, then powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- When cake is completely cool, carefully until it. Spread cream cheese frosting evenly and roll tightly. Chill cake roll for 1 hour, so it firms up a little.
- Dust the top with powdered sugar. Slice and enjoy!