Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie – the perfect ending to any meal! It is hands-down the best coconut pie we’ve ever eaten. I took this to a potluck and it was gone in a flash. Coconut, sugar, cornstarch, coconut milk, half-and-half, eggs, salt, vanilla, pie crust, and fresh whipped cream. Seriously delicious! #pie #coconutcreampie #dessert
- 1¼ cup sweetened flaked coconut divided
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 1 (13.5-oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1½ cups half-and-half
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract, divided
- 1 (9-inch) deep dish pie shell, baked
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Spread coconut on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, approximately 5 to 10 minutes
- Whisk together sugar and cornstarch in a large saucepan. Whisk in coconut milk, half-and-half, eggs, and salt.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of coconut flakes and 1 tsp of vanilla.
- Pour filling into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Press plastic wrap directly on to the top of the filling. Refrigerate until firm, about 4 hours.
- Spread chilled filling into baked pie shell.
- Combine heavy cream, powdered sugar, and 1 tsp vanilla. Whip with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Spread on top of pie filling and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup toasted coconut flakes.
Can make the pie filling ahead of time and refrigerate overnight before assembling the pie.Can substitute cool whip for fresh whipped cream.Can substitute a graham cracker crust for baked pie shell.