A simple Buckeye recipe for deliciously decadent peanut butter chocolate candies.
2 cups creamy peanut butter (not “natural” peanut butter) (475g)
1/2 cup salted butter softened (113g)
2 Tablespoons brown sugar* packed
1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extracth
3 1/4 cups powdered sugar (405g)
12 oz dark chocolate melting wafers (340g)
- Combine peanut butter and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until well-combined.
- Add brown sugar and vanilla extract. Stir well.
- Gradually add powdered sugar until completely combined. Scoop into Tablespoon-sized balls and roll with the palms of your hand until smooth and round.**
- Place on wax-paper lined cookie sheet and freeze for 15-20 minutes.
- While peanut butter balls are chilling, prepare your chocolate according to package instructions. Pour into a deep dish (I use a wide cup).
- Remove peanut butter balls from freezer, spear the top of each peanut butter ball with a toothpick and, holding the toothpick, dip each buckeye ball into the melted chocolate.
- Return to cookie sheet and remove toothpick. Use the pads of your fingers to smooth over the toothpick mark.
- Allow chocolate to harden before eating and enjoying.
- Buckeye balls are best kept refrigerated
Other simple desserts
*Some people have commented that the addition of brown sugar makes the cookies taste a bit gritty, I have not personally found this to be the case but if you are worried about this you can leave the brown sugar out without adjusting any of the other ingredients**If dough is too sticky to roll, add more powdered sugar, a Tablespoon at a time